Digital imaging basics
- What is a pixel ?
- What is pixel depth / resolution ?
- What is an image mode? What’s the difference between RGB and CMYK modes?
- What are the three channels and how do they relate to color codes?
- What does JPG and a GIF stand for?
- How many colors are possible in a JPG? And how many in a GIF?
- Why is there a difference between the number of colors possible?
- What kinds of images work best with a JPG? a GIF?
- What are some other image formats and what are they for?
- What’s the difference between image resolution at 100% and screen resolution in a well optimized jpg?
- What is the average current screen resolution and why is it important?
- How do you optimize and reduce image file size for a JPG?
- What are some ways to optimize and reduce image file size for a GIF?
- Why do we want to reduce image file size?
- What is the maximum optimized image file size?
- What happens if you change the image size as opposed to the canvas size?
- What are the three main windows to have open while you’re working on an image?
- What is the layer stacking order? Which comes first?
Photoshop elements & functions:
- Layer sets vs. layer comps
- Clipping group
- Typography: serif and sans serif
- bitmap and vector graphics (rasterized type)
- background image for web / offset
- Gif transparency
- User slice and automatic slice
- animated gifs / tween
- automated functions / gallery
Composition and Visual Communication
- What is the optical center of a photo or composition?
- What is the rule of thirds?
- What do we mean by dynamic balance?
- What are some of the concepts behind good composition, for example, simple backgrounds, strong lines?
- What do we mean by selecting the best frame?
- What are mergers?